Monday, March 3, 2008

Tag I'm It--Part III

Betcha thought I forgot all about this, right? Nope, I actually don't forget very many things (my husband will likely disagree with me), they just fester in the back of my mind, driving me crazy until I get them done--probably one of the reasons why my resolution for the year is to BE A FINISHER....but I digress.

So here is recipe #3...Lemon Chicken. Not something I make all that often, not because we don't love it, we REALLY do (it happens to be one of Rob's all time favorites), but because, frankly it is a pain in the you know what to make. Just too many ingredients. I'm not usually one for a fancy recipe with difficult to pronounce ingredients & long lists of instructions to follow...I leave that to other more talented chefs in my family....you know who you are. Anyways, truly the ingredients are not obscure, it is not HARD, it just has tiny little bits of LOTS of different things & simply takes a little more time than I usually spend on dinner. But it is actually worth it cuz it is soooooooo yummy.

Marinade

1 T. oil
2 T. cornstarch
1 egg
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. soy sauce
1/4 tsp. white pepper

Batter
1/4 c. flour
1/4 c. water
2 T. cornstarch
2 T. oil
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt

Sauce (I usually double this cuz we like LOTS of sauce)
1/4 c. chicken broth
1/4 c. honey
3 T. lemon juice
2 T. corn syrup
2 T. vinegar
1 T. oil
1 T. ketchup
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. salt
dash white pepper

So here's what you do....I recommend doing the prep early & just frying the chicken close to dinner time to speed up the process. Marinade 1-2 pounds chicken in above marinade recipe while you prepare the batter & sauce. I like to trim the chicken well & tenderize it, making it nice & thin so that it will cook quickly. Next prepare the batter in a shallow dish. Third, throw all the sauce ingredients into a saucepan & bring it to a boil. Then thicken the sauce with cornstarch & water and turn it down to low until you are ready to serve. Right before dinner, remove the chicken from the marinade, dip in the batter & fry in canola oil. Drain chicken on a paper towel, cut it up & serve over rice with the lemon sauce drizzled over the top. MMMMMmmmmmmmmmm!

4 comments:

Marilyn said...

I totally agree with the prep on this one too-that's why we don't have it often. I just did a yummy new Lime Chicken Tortilla dish that I thought was awesome last night.

Allyson said...

My mouth is just watering!!! mmmmm. Thanks for sharing and Yes, I had forgotten all about it!

kristie said...

Looks great. I tried the Teriyaki Pork Roast and loved it. I have the Baked Parmesan Crusted Chicken on my list for this week.

FYI -- I have a link on my blog for a organizing blog. She does a menu plan every Monday with links to other sites that participate. I think I might check out some of their ideas!

Mari said...

Mmm that looks delicious. I think I may have to try this one...