Monday, January 14, 2008

"Is it my favorite?"

Hawaiian Haystacks. A dinnertime staple around here. It has been FOREVER & it was when I was growing up too. They are really quick, relatively cheap, made with stuff I usually have on hand & a definite crowd pleaser. They are also Z's FAVORITE meal. Inevitably as the dinner hour approaches she'll ask:
Z: "Mom, what's for dinner?"
Me: "Chicken." (not always of course, but we do eat A LOT of chicken)
Z: "Is it my favorite?" (she seriously asks this EVERY time we have chicken)
Me: "YES!"
Z: "Yeah!!!!" (happy dance)
At least tonight that was the gist of our conversation. There are plenty of times when the answer is "no" & then I know what's coming next...."awww Mom, I don't like this stuff....why don't you ever make my favorite???"
The thing is....I DO make it.....a lot.

4 comments:

Allyson said...

I like Haystacks.....easy too. I could use a good recipe for the chicken sauce...wanna share yours? Maybe we should all put 3 of our favorite, easy, kid friendly (are there recipes that cover all three??? ) recipes on our blogs. I know I could use some new dinner ideas. I feel like we eat the same thing over and over and over.

Marilyn said...

Yummmmmm. It's a favorite for me too. Zoe has EXCELLENT taste. Thanks for the idea for dinner...

kristie said...

I love Hawaiian Haystacks too. My kids eat it in different ways. Jacob only eats the rice and crunchy noodles. Olivia eats the rice with gravy and the veggies on the side. Owen eats almost anything we give him. It is a great meal!

Jessica said...

I am sure that some day Z will begin to appreciate the finer things of life....like variety in her chicken!
-J