Sunday, January 6, 2008

Ode to a Cloudy Day

When we woke up this morning and saw a grey sky thick with heavy clouds, I was delighted! Being a true Arizona native, I absolutely LOVE cloudy, rainy days. I suppose if I lived somewhere like Seattle, I would blog "ode to a sunny day," but not here in the Valley of the Sun where we have nearly 300 sunny days a year. We relish the rain.
Not only do I love cloudy days for their potential rain (which we sorely need here in the desert), but also for their beauty. I am seriously a cloud junkie. I always notice clouds, their shape, color and size....the way they spread across the sky and hover over the mountains. AND because I am also a photography fanatic, I love a cloudy day for the landscape photo potential and also for the perfect light it creates for portraits...soft & even...a giant light box in the sky.
Arizona has beautiful wide open skies and absolutely stunning sunsets and when you add a cloudy sky to that combination, it is nothing short of perfection.

1 comment:

Allyson said...

I luv rainy day's too.....I like your picture too. You are so talented. Did you take classes or do you have pure talent? I want to go back to school to study photography....It will be a few years before this happens, but I'm already excited about it! :-)